Today, mobile devices have become essential to our lives. According to Statista 52.2% of website traffic in the world is generated through smartphones, and this number is about to grow. This is the very reason why having a mobile-optimized website is vital for your business. Otherwise, it might result in decreased sales, high bounce rate and lost customers.
What are the most effective website mobile optimization tricks and secrets? How to optimize website for mobile search and provide customers with amazing user experience?
5 Reasons to Make Your Website Mobile Friendly
A mobile optimized website is pure gold for you if you aim to boost sales and improve overall customer satisfaction. What other benefits can mobile optimization bring to your business?
- 1. Reduced bounce rate. The desktop version of your website may look fantastic, but it doesn’t mean it will look the same on a smartphone. Mobile devices are used for quick web surfing. If your website doesn’t work properly and requires a lot of effort to use, be ready to have a high bounce rate. A user-friendly interface and high website loading speed are keys to engaging new visitors and increasing sales.
- 2. It allows you to stay ahead of your competitors. When it comes to Internet marketing, competition is tremendous. Let’s be honest - beating your competitors is always challenging and requires making smart decisions. You need to give your customers what they want before they get it from your competition. Do you want to catch customers’ attention? Give them an easy-to-use and fast mobile optimized website.
- 3. Improved brand engagement. If your website provides satisfying user experience, visitors are more likely to return to you. Well-designed and optimized website makes users trust your company.
- 4. Mobile-friendly websites have better Google ranking. When you decide to optimize website for mobile, you increase organic traffic. Mobile optimized websites are usually ranked by Google better than websites that have only desktop version.
- 5. Increased traffic. As we have already mentioned, lion’s share of traffic comes through mobile devices. Like it or not, the mobile version of a website is even more important than the desktop one.
Simple Steps to Super Optimize Your Website for Mobile
Website mobile optimization doesn’t go one way and covers diverse points. We are going to highlight major steps you should take to optimize site for mobile.
1. Mobile Design
When your website has a proper mobile design, users do not need to zoom text or links. A website like that is absolutely easier to use and navigate. The main goal of a good mobile design is to make user experience as simple as possible and help users achieve their goal in only a couple of clicks. Most people use smartphones to surf on the web while walking or shopping, so make sure your website is easy to use and doesn’t have the following:
- • Flash animation,
- • irritating popups,
- • large and heavy images.
2. Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP)
In a few words, accelerated mobile pages are pages that provide fast website loading speed. In addition to that, websites with AMP pages have better Google ranking. By adding AMP pages to your website you can not only provide customers with better user experience but you can also improve your ranking in the search engine.
What is important - there is no need to make all website pages AMP optimized. What you need to do is optimize only the most frequently pages.
3. On-page Optimization
On-page optimization means that all pages of your website have relevant metadata and titles. Meta titles and meta descriptions must to relevant to the page’s content. It’s good not only for search engines but also for users. Website pages must have a logical structure and give users a clear understanding of what they will see after following the link.
4. Schema Markup
This is one of the most effective SEOtricks used in website mobile optimization. Schema markup is a type of microdata. Adding schema markup to a webpage allows you to create so called rich snippet (small description of website content displayed in search results). The most common cases when schema markup is used are the following:
- • large images,
- • complicated code (i.e. the code that has too many unnecessary elements),
- • • too many redirects.
5. Keep CSS, JS and Images
6. Loading Speed
This is probably one of the most heart burning problems in website mobile device optimization. Over 50% of users leave a site if they are forced to wait more than 3 seconds until it loads. 3 seconds! Users don’t want to wait - they want a website that works quickly and gives them what they need immediately. No matter how cool your website is, it has no chances for success with bad loading speed.
What kills website loading speed?
- • events,
- • products,
- • people,
- • recipes,
- • reviews.
7. Above-the-fold and Below-the-fold Content
This is one of the mobile optimization tips you should not forget about. To provide visitors to your website with a satisfying user experience, make sure above-the-fold content loads faster than below-the-fold content. Situations where website content loads randomly and looks strange makes users confused. Besides, pages that do not load above content first, are not favored by Google.
Mobile devices are our future. More and more people use their smartphones to order food, buy clothes or book summer trips. If you want to catch up with modern trends, you must optimize your website and make it available for mobile audience.
Making your website work properly on a mobile device requires serious optimization. The whole process might seem difficult (and in fact it’s not that easy) and time consuming. However, if you want to provide customers with a better user experience and improve your ranking in search engines, mobile search optimization is the way to go.
Be sure to check back every week for great new NIKLEX blog articles.